Tooth Extractions – Fanwood, NJ
Relieve Your Pain Quickly and Comfortably
Despite what you may have seen in movies and on TV over the years, real-life dentists actually don’t like extracting teeth. Nothing is stronger or better than the teeth you’re born with, which is why our dentists work so hard to help patient’s preserve their natural smiles for as long as possible. Unfortunately, there are some situations in which a tooth can simply be too damaged to be repaired, in which case it should be removed. Thankfully, our team can use their gentle touch and sedation dentistry to ensure a comfortable experience for absolutely every patient.
Why Choose Scotch Plains Fanwood Dental Care for Tooth Extractions?
- Same-Day Appointments Available
- Multiple Types of Sedation
- Patient Comfort is Priority #1
When is a Tooth Extraction Necessary?
Extraction is always our last option because we want to preserve your natural smile. However, our dental team will recommend removing a tooth if:
- It is too decayed to be restored with a filling or crown
- The enamel is broken to the point that it cannot be put back together
- Advanced gum disease has made the bone surrounding the tooth unstable
- More room is needed within the mouth for a new denture/upcoming orthodontic treatment
- A lingering baby tooth is blocking the path of an incoming adult tooth
Another common reason for tooth extractions in Fanwood is infection. An infection inside of your tooth can often spread to the gums, jawbone, and the rest of the body if it’s left untreated. We must extract these heavily infected teeth to prevent more serious issues like bone damage and additional tooth loss from occurring.
The Tooth Extraction Process
During your initial appointment, one of our experts will examine your smile and take x-rays of the affected area to check factors that can’t be seen with the naked eye. Once we have determined that you need a tooth extracted, we will ensure that you’re numb and comfortable before starting. We also offer various sedation dentistry options to help keep you calm and relaxed during the procedure. After the affected area has been prepared and your mouth is numb, we will use a special dental instrument to smoothly rock your tooth back and forth to extract it. The result is a comfortable, easy procedure.
Extraction Recovery & Aftercare
To make your recovery go as smoothly and comfortably as possible, we’ve included some easy yet helpful aftercare tips for extractions:
- Take the pain medication we give you as described.
- Use gauze pads to promote clotting and reduce bleeding. Be sure to always replace your gauze once it’s soaked in blood, or after every 3 to 4 hours.
- Give yourself at least 2 days to relax after your extraction. Typically, we can schedule planned extractions on a Friday so you can have the weekend to take it easy.
- Use a cold compress or ice pack to reduce swelling but alternate it on and off of your face for 10 minutes each session.
- Avoid using a straw for the first 24 hours.
- Avoid smoking or the use of tobacco.
- Prop your head up while laying down.
- Continue your brushing and flossing routine but avoid the extraction site.
For any questions or to set an appointment, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly front desk staff today! If you’re in pain, our emergency dentist in Fanwood will see you as soon as possible to provide relief.
I Need a Checkup & Cleaning I Have a Broken or Chipped Tooth I Want a Straighter Smile I am Looking for a Dentist for My Child I Want to Improve My Smile I am in Pain & Need Help I am Missing One or More Teeth I am Nervous/Afraid of the Dentist I Need My Wisdom Teeth Removed View Our Services